I've always been a reader. I learned to read when I was about two I think. Books have always been my best friend; I have one or more on the go at any one time and love re-reading old favourites.
Like many voracious readers I've dreamed of running a bookshop over the years. However I think I'd gravitate between acting like Bernard Black of Black Books
(that's him on the right) or simply dreaming the day away reading the stock!
So I've found a compromise. I'm selling books over the net as an Amazon Affliliate.
At the moment my bookshop
- Business books - marketing, sales, motivational, computers, software and internet/web
- Kindle e-books - the entire Amazon stock so there's something for everyone, fiction and non-fiction
- Photography - a personal interest which many people I know share
- Books on writing - for when we need inspiration and a nudge in the right (or write) direction
- Murder mysteries - because I love them. Specifically I love British mysteries and if I have to narrow it down, I tend towards relishing some of the marvellous Golden Age writers like Josephine Tey. But here, at the House of Arion, you can buy any mystery by any author Amazon has in stock.
- And lastly, software. Any and all. By all the suppliers.
As you can surmise I'm not doing this as a volunteer. I genuinely hope people will buy from me as I do get a minor cut of everything I sell. I'll be upfront about that. Look around you and you'll find a lot of people branching out and monetizing their website. I don't mean the shonks who ask you to spend thousands on, let's say, a diet plan that doesn't work, but genuine people expanding their avenues of income. It's a good thing.
And like I said, I always wanted to own a bookshop.