Have you ever thought to yourself, "I'll never be a workaholic, I value my time too much", and then found yourself working after dinner or at weekends? You're not alone, especially if you're a small business owner. Trust me, I've not only been there, I AM there. I used to enjoy switching off at the end of each day, but that's a luxury these days. I think the rise and rise of technology puts more pressure on all of us to be connected, to be always available. I'm sure you've had people leave repeated text messages, voice messages or emails for you, wondering why you are out of range for an hour or two. You could be in a meeting or conference, but whatever the reason you're simply not there when people want you to be. The trouble is, many of us put up with it. Do you:
- let people ring you outside business hours - have mobile phone, will travel...er, be available?
- check your emails before going to bed?
- check your emails before breakfast?
- stuck in meetings all day, you work into the night to catch up on projects and tasks?
- view weekends as the perfect time to work without constant interruptions from mobile phones and emails?
- use your smartphone or tablet to check your email/professional social media accounts at restaurants?
- work when you're on holiday - after all, most hotels and resorts have good broadband, so why not catch up on work?